An insightful discussion of the politics and news in Nebraska and the U.S.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

ANWR, Arctic Drilling Illustrate Nelson's Unwillingness to Take a Position


Thankfully the senate voted to include exploratory drilling in Alaska for the budget resolution. Most experts agree that there is enough oil in Alaska to supply America for many years to come helping us to get off the foreign dependancy crutch. Many also agree that this drilling can be done with very minimal consequences to wildlife. It's high time we open up this frontier for the good of America. The majority of people in Alaska in this area want this drilling to take place. The only thing holding us back is senate democrats and environmentalists dragging their feet.

I was dissappointed to see that Ben Nelson voted against this. I was even more dissappointed to see his reasoning. Senator Nelson, we're begging you, take a solid position on something for once PLEASE. You're reason for voting against this is "the Senate shouldn't include a controversial issue like that in the budget"? Senator, nearly everything in politics is controversial. Nelson, I love you and I voted for you in 2000, but come on, stand up for what you believe in. At least Hagel isn't afraid of that, and look how popular he is in the state? You were great on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I'll probably vote for you again in 2006, but you need to make some decisions on where you stand besides "In the Middle". Anyway, despite Nelson's no vote for the arctic drilling hopefully this oil exploration can go forward and we can begin to curb the ridiculous rising gas prices.

Hagel and Nelson split on Alaska:
http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/03/16/nebraska/doc4238dee013200881224576.txt

Nelson straddling the fence:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=54&u_sid=1360274

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home